Saturday, February 9, 2013

little black Princesses...

Excerpt "Having Tea with My Sisters" 
"It is absolutely imperative that we initiate a positive developmental pattern, in our youth, instilling a certain level of morality and positive precepts in our sons, daughters, and younger generation as a whole. Our children are our future – a cliché – but true nonetheless. 
Our beautiful Black Princesses are ill equipped for their entrance into adolescence and young adulthood. Many do not realize their own self-worth, which of course is, rightfully esteeming themselves highly. How then can we expect them to ask for, or demand, the love and respect they – each of them – so rightfully deserve?" And yes... WE SHOULD START WITH 
OUR OWN! 
I can remember way back when I was in school... 
riding the bus with Mella & Tina (my twin sister and my best friend)... we were laughing & talking (toward the back end of the bus) and a; tight lipped; elderly lady said aloud while shaking her head "I don't know what's gonna happen... these kids - nowadays - are terrible"... she then threw her head to one side, rolled her eyes, And snatched her purse up closer to her bosom. 

I can remember being juuuust slightly offended... thinking to myself, as I continued to laugh & talk with Mella & Tina; glancing every now and again at the tight lipped elderly lady; why did she say that?... we're not bad kids... we're not being disrespectful... ... ... I mean... we were not using profane words; we were not obnoxiously loud; neither of us had stepped on her foot; we DID say "excuse me" when we rushed past her... we were just young teenagers headed home after school... talking about whatever we were talking about on the back end of the bus (CTA Chicago Transit Authority).

I thought of that elderly woman recently when I found myself riding Chicago's public transportation (CTA)... ... ... for her, our generation was perhaps too loose, too loud, And somewhat threatening *a chuckle as I think back* BUT as my cousin Gladys (love to my family in Houston Texas) would say "baaaabeee" THESE kids NOW! A! DAYS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment