Friday, March 29, 2013

my brother | Bruce Lee | And me...



Ok. So I know life - the course of development - And the interrelation of technology is continually propelling us in a forward progression... it is, as they say, the way of the world but I have to tell you... I miss many of the simple particulars of my youth.

- I miss the time when"call-waiting" was not an added feature on your telephone line... I mean IF one of our teachers was calling with a bad report... my siblings and I could tie the phone line up all evening *wink* All the caller would get, on the other end, was a busy signal
- I miss the time when you could see a loved one OFF by walking them all the way to the airline departure gate... parting with a big dose of love And a farewell hug & kiss
- I miss the old fashion ice cream trucks... the ones with the crackling music blaring over the loud speakers... you know the ones with fountain ice cream... Yum!.. Um reflecting back - it probably wasn't the most sanitary way to distribute ice cream (particularly on hot summer days) but WE all survived *lol*
- I miss the sound of children playing outside... simple games like: hop-scotch | catch a girl-kiss a girl | double dutch | jacks | south ball on the street corner...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My brother and I were talking the other day; reminiscing about a time when he almost broke my nose *lol* OK so... our family (well over 200 of us) were all preparing for our family's yearly picnic (my dad, his siblings, And a huge host of nieces & nephews, extended cousins, and so on) somehow several of our cousins ended up at our house... there we all were... sitting around *NO cell phones* joking, laughing, *NO cable television*And shooting the breeze *NO laptops NO Xbox* at this time my older brother (Lamarr) was going through his 'Bruce Lee' phase... he even had homemade nun-chucks to boot... in the midst of the laughter And chatter, my brother started showing off his SELF learned techniques; he would karate chop here - karate chop there - And then pose in his Bruce Lee karate stance... after a couple minutes of prancing around - And I guess wanting to show off a bit more - he came up with the idea of using me as a stunt dummy... 

- Lamarr: "Pam" he said... "come here"
- Me: "noooooooooo" *laughing* I didn't know what he had in mind BUT I knew I wanted no part of it *lbvs*
- Lamarr: "Come on... just stand here And hold still" he grabbed And gently - yet forcibly - pulled me to the middle of the floor "I won't hurt you" he said... ... ... ... as he heisted his pant leg and positioned himself in his stance And put his face on (Bruce Lee infamous stare & finger swipe to nose)
- Me: "NO Lamarr" (slowly backing away) "nooo"... ... my "no" was abruptly interrupted by a quick heal-to-nose

My head flew backwards... And just like the ole school cartoons WHEN some animated cat or mouse (I'm thinking of Tom & Jerry) got clunked upside the head And an immediate knot formed... I could feel the knot rising atop my nose... the room filled with a roar of laughter... baby brother, my twin sister, And our cousins were falling over with laughter... Instantly my brother ran to me (he nor I were laughing) hugged me tightly apologizing And pleading with me not to tell our dad (it was an accident after all)... Please!.. I broke free And ran downstairs - straight to daddy... lol... So many years later, it is hilarious Aaaaaand it's something to 'well remember' *smilin'* simple things... good times.

Your next family event - or the next time you're in a coffee shop or diner... almost everyone will likely have their heads buried in their cell phones and/or laptops. Somehow the advances in technology are interrupting And stripping us of the natural comradery of our loved ones. Just my humble opinion of course *wink* 

No comments:

Post a Comment