Monday, January 14, 2013

Mother To Son by: Langston Hughes @ my 8th grade graduation

MOTHER TO SON by: Langston Hughes
Well, son, I'll tell you...
Life for me ain't been no crystal stair. It's had tacks in it. And splinters,
And boards torn up. And places with no carpet on the floor - Bare.
But all the time I'se beenA climbin' on. And reachin' landin's. And turnin' corners.
And sometimes goin' in the dark WHERE there ain't been no light.
So boy. Don't you turn back. Don't you set down on the steps
Cause you finds it's kinda hard. Don't you fall now - For I'se still goin' honey
I'se still climbin'. And life, for me, ain't been NO crystal stair.
 I absolutely LOVE this poem. I'm not really sure why BUT this poem was the first piece of material, I read, that actually leaped off the page to me. I was able to visualize each word.
8th grade graduation: 
I was asked, by Mrs. Taylor - my 8th grade teacher - whom I also loved, to recite "Mother To Son" @ my 8th grade graduation. I was honored. I obliged.
I can remember as I approached the podium... ... ... my long skinny legs were trembling... ... my knobby knees were my ONLY body parts shaking *almost uncontrollably*
I thought, for certain, the mic would pick up this distraction AND the sound would somehow be magnified and carried throughout the entire sound system *lol* FUNNY how a child's mind works *smilin*
I finished the poem without catastrophic incident... Everything after that was blur.
Note To Author
Poetry as vivid as a beautiful painting; it carries a sultry rhythm that one can almost dance to... Mr. Hughes, thank you for your legacy. Your rhythmic style of  writing has inspired generations. Respectfully Poodle ONE of many you've inspired.  r.i.p. 

No comments:

Post a Comment